Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Life Lesson

Parenting provides lots of lessons about life.  These two girls are giving me lots of insight into my sin, but we won't go there right now.  :o)  The other night I learned a different sort of lesson from them.

It was probably around 11 pm, and I was laying in bed trying to go to sleep.  The girls were out in the den with Ed.  They were doing their crying duet--loudly. Despite the noise, I was able to lay down, relax and head off to sleep.  

It struck me that this was very different from other times when they are crying. Why was I able to relax instead of getting worked up?  I realized it was because Ed was in charge.  I didn't have to try to settle them.  My job was to sleep so that I could get up later in the night for my turn.  They were being cared for by their capable, loving father.    

Then the parallel struck me.  Isn't this what I am to do in life? The Lord has given me some things to do, and I am to leave the rest to Him trusting that He has it under control.  Often, I try to take up what isn't mine.  Instead of worrying and fretting, I am to relax and rest in Him.  

It makes me think of two verses.  The first is 1 Peter 5:7 which says, "Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you."  The second is from Psalm 3, which is written by David when he is fleeing from Absolom.   In verse 5 he says, "I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me."  Someone once commented that David's ability to sleep in the midst of fleeing for his life was a testimony to his faith and trust in God's providential care.  

As my kids grow, I hope I can take this lesson to heart and rest, trusting the Father that loves and cares for me and the ones I love.  

No comments: