Saturday, January 10, 2009

Exciting Possibility

While doing some research on the internet about cleft palates, I found the name of a local "pathfinder". Pathfinders are people who are willing to answer questions and be a support to other parents of children with clefts. I tried the email link, but it was old. So, I looked her up on white pages and got a good number. This sweet woman, Deb, was laid up in bed with a migraine when her husband answered my call. Despite her pain, she agreed to talk to me.

Deb gave me some great news. She said that her son, who is now two, began his treatment locally. She gave me the name of the team that treated him. She had only great things to say about them. I plan on calling them next week.

Then she told me that after the first two months, they were accepted into the Shriner's program. I have heard of Shriners hospitals, but I had no idea they worked with kids with clefts. The Shriners transported them to a city with a Shriners Hospital for Children, found them a place to stay, paid for all of their care and them brought them back home. Amazing, huh? I have already tried to contact them and have printed out an application from their website.

I am really excited to have a local acquaintance that can answer questions and point me to a good local professional. I am also excited about the possibility of the Shriners providing care for Abbey. Wouldn't that be a wonderful provision? I am very thankful that I found out about this woman and this great possibility. Please pray with me about it. Thanks!

1 comment:

The Westmorelands said...

marcie, that is great news!! what a blessing! have i told you that i was born with a cleft palate?? so, i'm excited to see how things unfold for y'all. isn't the Lord's provision wonderful? hope you're all doing well!