Monday, October 26, 2009

Frustrated

I'm trying to look on the bright side, but I am still frustrated. Many of you know that Abbey's surgery was officially cancelled and rescheduled today. The fever that she had over the weekend was an automatic cancellation. The bad thing is that the first available date to reschedule it isn't until the beginning of January. The surgeon wanted to do it between ten and twelve months. Now it will be at 14.5 months. (If the weather or another fever doesn't postpone it again.)

I am frustrated and concerned about how this will hinder her speech and language development. In the past month and a half I could already tell that she was making more and more sounds that are characteristic of children with clefts. So, she will have to unlearn the bad habits that she picks up in the next two and a half months.

Plus, they were going to put tubes in her ears. People with a cleft palate can't maintain proper ear pressure, because their eustachian tube doesn't work correctly. So, they often have fluid in the middle ear that interferes with hearing. At times, I can tell that this is happening to her. She doesn't react as quickly to her name or other sounds. So, now we have two and a half months more of her not having normal hearing.

But, I trust the Lord is in control. His plans and purposes are higher than mine. I know that and trust it, but my heart still hurts for my little girl. Plus, I don't want to have to go through this waiting and anticipation again. Please pray for me, Abbey and the rest of our family. Thanks!

3 comments:

The Westmorelands said...

hey marcie! i know i already commented on your facebook page today... by way of encouragement, my cleft surgery was not until i was 16 months old. that's just how they did it back then. i can't predict what kinds of speech/language issues she will have. i did a lot of speech therapy as a kid, but i always did really well in school, had lots of friends, and even learned to speak clearly enough to be a speech pathologist! :) i hope that encourages you in the midst of your discouragement. may God give you peace!

Megan said...

Wow, what the Westmorelands had to say seems very encouraging. I'm sorry you are having to experience this trial right now and hope things will end up being even better than you expect them to right now.

Jessie said...

I am sorry and sad with you. Trusting the her Father knows, though its hard. Love you all much very much!